The Ad hoc Fisheries and Aquaculture Group, with Chile as Pro Tempore Coordinator of the Pacific Alliance and ECLAC as advisory body, prepared the matrix with short and medium-term actions that have established the lines of action to follow for the design of the work agenda in fisheries and aquaculture.
Since its creation, the alternate focal points of the ad hoc Group on Fisheries and Aquaculture of the countries of the Pacific Alliance have been coordinating actions through videoconferences. To date, the following has been completed:
- Development of the annual meeting of high authorities of the fishing and aquaculture sectors of the PA in the international fair of Aquaculture – Aquasur.
- Participation with the joint Pacific Alliance stand at the International Aquaculture Fair – Aquasur, held in Chile from October 19 to 22, 2016.
- Coordination among the members of the ad hoc Group in support of the Organization of the First Meeting of the Fisheries and Aquaculture Research Institutes of the PA countries, held in Lima, Peru from July 5 to 7, 2017.
- Creation of the Network of Fisheries and Aquaculture Research Institutes of the Pacific Alliance, which will allow the exchange of experiences and the promotion of fisheries and aquaculture research among the PA countries.
- Development of coordination among the members of the ad hoc Group to promote the exchange of experiences on the internal promotion of the consumption of fishery and aquaculture products in the PA countries. The institutions that have shared experiences are:
- Mexico: COMEPESCA (by its acronym in Spanish) – Mexican Council for the promotion of fisheries and aquaculture products.
- Peru: PNACP (by its acronym in Spanish) – National Program let’s eat fish – Ministry of Production – Deputy Minister Office of Fisheries and Aquaculture.
- Chile: Program from the sea to my table – Ministry of Economy and Finance – Undersecretariat of Fisheries and Aquaculture.
It is important to note that Chile created its Program in May 2017, after learning about the experiences of Mexico and Peru.
At the Aquasur 2016 International Fair, held in Puerto Montt, Chile, from October 19 to 22, 2016, the authorities of the 4 countries on fisheries and aquaculture made a presentation on the perspectives and challenges of Aquaculture in each of the member countries. In addition, a first promotional stand of the Pacific Alliance was set up, through which the four countries exhibited information on the aquaculture and fishing sector products of each country.